Services at a glance
The state-of-the-art digital radiography systems at The Equine Center are powerful, high speed x-ray machines that make it possible to image difficult body parts such as the neck, chest, and pelvis of large adult horses.
If your horse starts behaving abnormally, dental problems should be considered as a potential cause.
Platelet rich plasma or PRP is a regenerative medicine treatment that delivers a high concentrate of platelets in the form of blood plasma to a lesion increasing the amount of growth factors at the site to help in healing.
The Lameness Locator enables the veterinarian to objectively measure lameness in horses with non-invasive inertial sensors. The system provides an analysis that indicates whether the horse is lame, the severity of the lameness, the limb or limbs involved, and the part of the motion cycle at which peak pain is occurring.
ABOUT The Equine Center
The Equine Center was founded in 1987 to provide high quality care to horses in San Luis Obispo County and surrounding areas. Our goal is to provide the foremost in SERVICE to our clients while offering the best in veterinary CARE to their horses. We approach each day with a “Patient First” policy based principles of modern, evidenced based medicine.
Vasil Yordanov received his degree from The Tracian University, Bulgaria in 2015. Prior to joining The Equine Center’s team, he worked as small animal veterinarian in his home city Sofia and did volunteer work at some local jumper barns. In 2016, Vasil arrived on the...Find out more
Emily E Bardo, DVM
Dr. Emily Bardo is a native Californian who grew up on the coast in Half Moon Bay. She studied Animal Science at Cal Poly SLO and then went on to The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio for veterinary school. After receiving her Doctor...Find out more
James K Waldsmith, DVM
Dr. James K. Waldsmith has owned and operated The Equine Center since 1985. His professional interests are thermography, sports medicine, rehabilitation, reproduction and preventive medicine.Find out more
Emergency Care When You Need it
The Equine Center is dedicated to providing prompt emergency services to our established clientele and their animals.
Have service when it matters most
- EMS services offered 24/7
- On farm or in hospital care
- For established TEC clients seen for routine services in the last 12 months
- Available for non-clients with direct veterinary referral
Enjoy worry-free boarding for your horse
The Equine Center Boarding is a friendly, equestrian facility accommodating sport horses, breeding, young and elderly/retired horses with their special care needs.
TEC boarding offers
- Boarding in pens, small and large fields
- Feeding three times a day
- Customized services to meet the needs of your horse
- Two arenas and conditioning track – Fully lit jump arena
- Tack room, groom areas, wash rack, trailer parking
Experience Rehabilitation Center
Our goal in developing our sports medicine and rehabilitation programs is to use scientific knowledge, gained in both human and equine medicine, to raise the standard of care and performance of the athletic horse.
The goals of our rehabilitation program
- Relieve Pain
- Restore Range of Motion
- Regain Strength
- Return for Intended Use
Maintain your horse at optimum health
The Equine Center’s Veterinarians can help you design and implement a vaccination and deworming program that is most appropriate for your horse or herd.
Good equine health practices include:
- Vaccination program customized for your horse
- Regular deworming
- Good nutrition
- Regular dental care
- Annual physical exam
Progressive Sports Medicine Center
At The Equine Center, we are able to provide either in-hospital or at-the-farm evaluation of your horse’s soundness and help develop a plan to help your horse perform his best and feel in top shape.
ANALYSIS AND TREATMENTS OFFERED
- Inertial Motion Detector Analysis
- Physiological Imaging – Nuclear Scintigraphy (Bone Scan)/Thermography
- Anatomical Imaging – Digital Radiography/Ultrasound
- Upper airway Endoscopy and Gastroscopy
- Progressive Sports Therapies, Treatments, Rehabilitation and Strength Training.
State of the art breeding services for mares and stallions
You get but a few chances each year to begin a viable pregnancy and one chance a year for a successful outcome. Getting the best reproductive care available is a priority.
Quick Look at our services
- Mare care from breeding to foaling
- Semen collection, evaluation, shipping, freezing and storage
- Infertility work ups for mares and stallions
- Embryo transfer, Oocyte retrieval, In vitro embryo production (ICSI)
- All mare breeding services- AI- fresh or frozen